Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Water Pump Woes

I spent a little time cleaning and sanding the chamber of the pump today and sanding down the ridges in the cover. The cover gasket dried out overnight and shrunk big time so was unusable. Car Quest had the right thickness of gasket material (.009) and for $2 I have enough to make cover gaskets for every A4 in existence. I decided against sanding the pump face at this time and put the pump back together.

Now how to turn it for a test. Hmmm... I new I was going to use the drill/driver for motion but not sure how to interface the drill with a 3/16" slot in a 1/2" shaft of the pump. After a few minutos I discovered  a standard #2 cross point (Phillips or maybe it was a Reed & Prince) fit perfectly in the slot so chucked it up. I put some water in the pump for prime and lubrication and stuck the intake into a bucket of water. Hit the trigger and alas no water coming from the outlet hose. "Damn !"

I changed to the higher speed and still nothing and then after about 10 seconds water came flying out and got my shoe wet. I have no idea how fast the drill is turning but the label says 1500 max RPM. I don't think it's turning that fast. Anyway with the help of Admiral Lee we timed a gallon of water and it took about 30 seconds. I was hoping for more but with the small worn cam shoe that is in the pump I guess that's about it. I'll reinstall on the engine and see how much flow we get. Anyone want to hold the bucket at the exhaust for me?

Who knows the difference between a Phillips and a Reed & Prince ( Frearson) ?


"How I Feel When It Won't Pump"


No comments:

Post a Comment