Sunday, April 2, 2017

Water Where It's Not Supposed to Be

This boat has a sealed (supposedly) bilge under the floor boards. It also has a deep bilge in the aft section of the keel. These 2 are not connected. I kept seeing moisture around the ice box drain hose where it entered this bilge area.The only way I can see for water to get into this area is from rain (hatch left open at some point) and through a small opening around the ice box drain hose. This hose continues through and into the deep bilge.

I drilled a 3" hole into the floor and found the bilge full of water. I drilled about 10 more holes sucked all the water out then ventilated it for a few days. I then filled the bilge full with bleach to kill mold and mildew. Dried it out again and filled it full of antifreeze to kill rot bugs in the wood. Removed this and have been ventilating the area for a couple of weeks with forced air. The plywood floor lamination's are still good from checking my hole samples.



The sole (floor) has started to firm up and not flexing as much with the wood drying.

I also continue to remove paint from the bottom in hopes of getting a barrier coat on before it gets to hot.

Lee has more fabric samples and is beginning the process of measuring for new cushions.

We also found someone to correspond with that has an 8.0 C.

No comments:

Post a Comment